The Art of Charm
The Cheat Code to Building Deep Relationships and Being Unforgettable Toolbox
In today’s episode, we cover emotional bids with AJ and Johnny.
Understanding emotional bids is the cheat code to building great relationships, but what are they, how do you recognize them, and why does ignoring them lead to the end of relationships?
What to Listen For
- Why are Emotional Bids Important – 2:25
- Why is it so important to your relationships to be able to recognize them?
- How can ignoring your partner’s emotional bids lead to the end of your relationship?
- Why is it important to actively listen for emotional bids when you’re talking to someone?
- What is an Emotional Bid – 16:38
- What is an emotional bid and how do you recognize when someone is trying to get you to connect?
- Why is it more important to pay attention to the emotions behind the words than the words themselves?
- How do you make someone want to text you back?
- What can you do to be unforgettable after one conversation with someone?
- Common Emotional Bids and the 3 Ways to Respond – 27:30
- What is a bid for attention and how should you respond to it?
- What is a bid for emotional support and how should you respond to it?
- What does it mean to turn toward an emotional bid and how can turning away from them or against them cause your relationships to crumble?
- What are the 3 ways we can respond to emotional bids and which one is guaranteed to make your relationship fail?
- How to Use Emotional Bids to Strengthen Relationships – 48:02
- What simple exercise can you use to become aware of emotional bids from the people you interact with on a daily basis?
- How can a lack of awareness of emotional bids lead to divorce and what can you do to be more aware of them in your partner?
Emotional bids are our way of expressing vulnerability without feeling like we’re taking a big risk, so if we can recognize the emotional bids in others, acknowledge them, and respond appropriately by turning toward them, we can make the people we care about feel more comfortable being more vulnerable and connecting with us.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Resources from this Episode
Check in with AJ and Johnny!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Paul Bloom | To Live a Fulfilling Life Answer These Easy QuestionsIn today’s episode, we cover the pursuit of meaning with Paul Bloom. Paul is Professor of Psychology at the University of Toronto, Professor Emeritus of... Read more
Katy Milkman | Eliminate Unhealthy Habits Today with 3 Scientifically Proven StrategiesIn today’s episode, we cover how to change with Katy Milkman. Katy is a professor at The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, host... Read more
Brian Primack | Save Your Mental Health From Social Media With This 3-Step Science-Based StrategyIn today’s episode, we cover social media’s impact on mental health with Dr Brian Primack. Brian is the dean of the College of Education and... Read more
Peter Bregman | Supercharge Your Teams Performance By Using This 3 Step MethodIn today’s episode, we cover changing ourselves and others with Peter Bregman. Peter blends his deep expertise in business, leadership, and people to deliver quantifiable... Read more